PhD (in progress), University of South Florida, Rhetoric and Composition
- Dissertation: "Relational Rhetorical Agency, Networked Technology, and the Aftermath of the Boston Marathon Bombing," Committee: Carl Herndl, PhD, USF (Co-Chair), Marc Santos, PhD, USF (Co-Chair), Thomas Rickert, PhD, Purdue, and Dennis Lynch, PhD, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
- Exam Areas: Composition Theory, Rhetoric and Technology, Qualitative Methods, and Historical Rhetorics (Pass with Distinction, 2012)
- Research Areas: Digital Rhetorics, Composition Theory, Writing Program Administration
MA (December 2009), University of South Florida, English Literature
BA (December 2006), University of South Florida, English Literature
Peer Reviewed Articles and Book Chapters
- "Agency Matters." Peitho. (forthcoming)
- "Assembling New Port Richey." Florida. Ed. Jeff Rice. Co-authored with Sandy Branham. (forthcoming Fall 2014)
- "Our [Electrate] Stories: Explicating Ulmer's Mystory Genre." Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy 18.2. 2014. Web. Co-authored with Marc Santos, Kristen Gay, Jason Carabelli, Lauren Cagle, Ellie Browning, Zachary Dixon, and Sara Beth Hopton.
- "Re-Mediating Writing Program Assessment." Digital Writing Assessment and Evaluation. Eds. Heidi Mckee and Danielle DeVoss. Logan, UT: Computers and Composition Digital Press/Utah State University Press, 2013. Web. (Co-authored with Karen Langbehn and Joseph Moxley.)
- "Persuasion Beyond Logic: The Importance of Rhetorical Training for Military Officers." Xchanges 7.2. 2011.
Peer Reviewed Articles in Progress
- "On Reflection's Reflexes: Twitter and the Externalization of Reflection." (revise and resubmit from Present Tense, July 2014)
- "Toward a Professional and Technical Communication Made Whole: Jody Shipka, Creativity, Postpedagogy, and Professional and Technical Communication." Co-authored with Marc C. Santos. (under consideration at Programmatic Perspecitves September 2014)
- "Theorizing, Circulating, Writing: Moving Beyond through Postcompostion (A Review of Sidney Dobrin's Postcomposition)." Enculturation 15.1. 2013.
- "J.21 Start Playing Around: Videogames and Pedagogy in a New Key." Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric and Technology 18.1. 2013. Web.
Edited Textbooks and Pedagogy Books
- Rhetoric Matters: Language and Argument in Context. New York: Bedford, 2011. Co-edited with Curtis Le Van.
- Negotiating Writing Spaces: Instructor Guide. Plymouth, MI: Hayden McNeill, 2011. Co-edited with Jennifer Yirinec, Lauren Cutlip, Laura Hennessey, Jessica McKee, and Cassie Childs.
- "Preparing Employment Documents." A Rhetorical Approach to Professional and Technical Communication. 2014. Web.
- "Ethos." Writing Commons. 2013. Web.
- "Fallacious Ethos." Writing Commons. 2013. Web. Co-authored with Jessica McKee.
- "Fallacious Pathos." Writing Commons. 2013. Web. Co-authored with Jessica McKee.
- "Fallacious Logos." Writing Commons. 2013. Web. Co-authored with Jessica McKee.
- "Fallacious Kairos." Writing Commons. 2013. Web. Co-authored with Jessica McKee.
- "Reading Editorials." Rhetoric Matters, 2nd Edition. Ed. Cassie Childs. New York: Bedford, 2012. Print. 173-175.
- "On Organization: Classical (Aristotelian) and Rogerian Arguments." Rhetoric Matters, 2nd Edition. Ed. Cassie Childs. New York: Bedford, 2012. Print. 228-229.
- "On Style - Paragraphs." Rhetoric Matters, 2nd Edition. Ed. Cassie Childs. New York: Bedford, 2012. Print. 270-277.
- "Thesis, Introduction, and Conclusion: the Beginning and the End." Rhetoric Matters, 2nd Edition. Ed. Cassie Childs. New York: Bedford, 2012. Print. 277-284.
- "Building Ethos in Writing." Negotiating Writing Spaces. Eds. Jennifer Yirinec and Lauren Cutlip. Plymouth, MI: Hayden McNeill, 2011. Print. 61-62.
- "Reading Newspaper Articles." Rhetoric Matters. Eds. Megan McIntyre and Curtis LeVan. New York: Bedford, 2011. Print. 120-124.
- "Ethos, Pathos, Logos and Kairos: Working Together." Rhetoric Matters. Eds. Megan McIntyre and Curtis LeVan. New York: Bedford, 2011. Print. 59-62.
- Researcher Grant, International Writing Center Association, March 2014 (in collaboration with Karen Langbehn)
- "iSessions: Re-Imagining Writing Consultations with New Media Technologies." International Writing Center Association Conference. Orlando, FL. October 2014. (forthcoming)
- "Blurring Traditional Roles: Assessment of a Collaborative Teaching Model for First-Year Writing." Writing Research Across Borders. Paris, France. February 2014.
- "Risk, Responsibility, and Reddit's Hunt for the Boston Marathon Bombing Suspects." Conference on College Composition and Communication. Tampa, Florida. April 2015. (forthcoming)
- "Working Across Campus: Supporting Student-Athlete through a Partnership between Athletics and the Writing Center." Council of Writing Program Administrators Conference Normal, Illinois. July 2014.
- "#BostonHelp: Dependent Agency and the New Materialists." Conference on College Composition and Communication. Indianapolis, Indiana. March 2014.
- "My Reviewers: A Culture of Democratic Assessment?" Council of Writing Program Administrators Conference. Albuquerque, NM. July 2012.
- "Denial 2.0: Hyperlinks, Identification, and the Virtual Policy Networks of Climate Change Denial." Rhetoric Society of America Conference. Philadelphia, PA. May 2012.
- "#Post Pedagogy: Twitter and a Pedagogy of the Act." Computers and Writing Conference. Raleigh, NC. May 2012.
- "Writing in the Writing Classroom: Why the Writing Center Offers Composition Important Models of How to Encourage Agency and Aid Proficiency." Conference on College Composition and Communication. Atlanta, Georgia. April 2011.
- "Songs of Coal: Histories of the South." South Atlantic Modern Language Association Conference. Atlanta, Georgia. November 2010.
- "Writing Action: Engaging Students in Community Service through First Year Composition." South Atlantic Modern Language Association Conference. Atlanta, Georgia. November 2009.
- "Reintroducing Ourselves to Shakespeare: Popular Young Adult Fiction in Florida's Classroom." Florida College English Association. Ybor City, Florida. October 2008.
- "Giving Effective Feedback." Chemistry Department Teaching Practicum, University of South Florida. October 2014. (forthcoming)
- "Writing Groups and Giving Feedback." Chemistry Department TA Training, University of South Florida. August 2014.
- "Writing in the RN-BSN Program." College of Nursing New Student Orientation, University of South Florida. August 2014.
- "Crafting ePortfolios and Web Presences." Professional U., University of South Florida, April 2014.
- "Navigating the Alt-Ac." English Department, University of South Florida. April 2014.
- "Creating a Persuasive Cover Letter." Professional U., University of South Florida, March 2014.
- "Organizing Your Literature Review." Dissertation Forum, University of South Florida. February 2014.
- "Composing an Effective Resume." Professional U., University of South Florida, February 2014.
- "Rhetorically Reading a Job Ad." Professional U., University of South Florida, January 2014.
* indicates I developed my own course materials, including syllabus, schedule, and assignments
** indicates that materials, including major assignments, I developed were adopted by other instructors
Primary Instructor, University of South Florida, (2007-Present)
- ENC 1101: Composition I**
- ENC 1101: Composition I: Workshop Model**
- ENC 1102: Composition II**
- ENC 1101: Composition II: Workshop Model**
- ENC 1130: Improving College Level Writing**
- ENC 3246: Communication for Engineers*
- ENC 3250: Professional Writing*
- ENC 4311: Advanced Composition: Digital Piracy*
- ENC 4311: Advanced Composition: Rhetoric, Technology, and Social Media*
- ENC 4311: Advanced Composition: Hashtag Activism
Teaching Assistant, University of South Florida, (2010-2013)
- ENC 6745: Practice in Teaching Composition
- ENC 6700: Studies in Composition Theory
Writing Program Administration Experience
Coordinator, Writing Center, University of South Florida (May 2013-Present)
As Assistant Coordinator (May 2013-May 2014) and then as Coordinator (May 2014-Present), I have worked on a number of substantial projects, including "Professional U.," a series of employment workshops in conjunction with Career Services, the Dissertation Forum, an annual event for doctoral candidates across campus organized in conjunction with the Library and Graduate Studies, and the implementation of an International Writing Center Association Researcher Grant concerned with bringing iPads and screencasting into writing center sessions. Furthermore, I am responsible for scheduling our writing consultants, overseeing our desk staff, representing the Writing Center and Tutoring and Learning Services at new and transfer student orientation, and maintaining and updating the Writing Center's website and blog. For my work with our consultants and desk staff, I was awarded the 2014 Supervisor of the Year award. During my time as a coordinator, I have worked in the following capacities:
- Organizer, Embedded Tutor Pilot Program, ENC 1130: Improving College Level Writing, July 2014-Present
- Study Coordinator and Primary Investigator, International Writing Center Association Researcher Grant, March 2014-Present
- Organizer and Workshop Leader, Professional U. Workshop Series, January 2014-Present
- Organizer, Dissertation Forum, January 2014-Present
- Development Team Member and Workshop Leader, STEM Workshop Series, September 2011-December 2013
- Workshop Leader, Study Smart Workshops, May 2013-Present
- Webmaster, Writing Center Website, May 2013-Present
- Social Media Coordinator, May 2013-Present
- Organizer, Writing Center Consultant Orientation, August 2013
- Workshop Leader, College Reach Out Program, July 2013
Junior Writing Program Administrator, First Year Composition Program, University of South Florida, (May 2008-May 2013)
As an administrator in the First Year Composition Program at the University of South Florida, I participated in curricular and programmatic development as well as teacher training for our 60 plus instructors. During my tenure with FYC, I acted as a mentor, curriculum developer, assessment coordinator, and mentoring coordinator. As mentoring coordinator, I oversaw summer curriculum changes, planned our two week instructor orientation, oversaw 6 mentors and their 30 mentees each year, co-taught the teaching practicum alongside the Director of Composition, Dr. Joseph Moxley, and helped manage the creation of our custom textbooks and assessment tool My Reviewers. These initiatives, along with the hard work of our instructors and program administrators, led CCCC to award us the Writing Program Certificate of Excellence in 2012. During my 5 years with the program, I worked in the following capacities:
- Mentoring Coordinator, April 2011-May 2013
- Chair, Bullitzer Prize Committee, December 2012-May 2013
- Curriculum Developer, ENC 1101, 1102, and 1130, May 2010-May 2013
- Graduate Student Member, FYC Policy Committee, April 2011-May 2013
- Co-Developer and Administrator, Workshop Model Pilot, December 2011-May 2013
- Pedagogical Resource Developer, My Reviewers Digital Assessment Tool, January 2010-May 2013
- Resource Developer, FYC website, August 2009-May 2013
- Co-chair, Rubric Committee, February 2008-May 2013
- Organizer, Joint FYC and Writing Center Orientation, August 2012
- Developer, "CompShops", Joint Effort of the FYC Program and Writing Center, August 2010-May 2011
- Mentor, August 2010-April 2011
- Co-Developer and Instructor, Inquiry and Writing Pilot Courses, August 2010-May 2011
- Member, SACs Assessment Committee, May 2008
Awards and Honors
- Supervisor of the Year, University of South Florida, 2014
- Student Government Travel Grant, University of South Florida, 2014
- Irving H. Rubin and Mollie M. Rubin Award for Outstanding Graduate Student, English Department, University of South Florida, 2013
- Provost's Commendation for Outstanding Teaching, University of South Florida, 2012
- Joseph Bentley Teaching Fellowship, English Department, University of South Florida, 2012
- First Year Composition Leadership Award, English Department, University of South Florida, 2011
- Member, Local Committee, Conference on College Composition and Communication, July 2014-Present
- Advisor, Graduate Writing Tutors, University of South Florida, June 2013-Present
- Assistant Editor, Writing Commons, 2011-2013
- President, English Graduate Student Association, University of South Florida, 2011-2012
- Fiction and Copy Editor, Saw Palm: Florida Literature and Art, 2009-2010
- Part of organizing committee for Florida Regional Writing Center Conference, 2009
Rhetoric and Materialism
- ENC 6336: Studies in the History of Rhetoric, Fall 2009, Dr. Marc Santos
- LIT 6934: Contemporary Rhetorics, Fall 2010, Dr. Marc Santos
- LIT 6934: Rhetoric of Science, Spring 2011, Dr. Carl Herndl
- LIT 6934: Rhetoric and Cultural Studies, Fall 2011, Dr. Carl Herndl
- LIT 6934: Bruno Latour and the New Materialism, Spring 2012, Dr. Carl Herndl
- Rhetoric and Object-Oriented Rhetorics, Rhetoric Society of America Summer Institute, 2013, Dr. Thomas Rickert and Dr. Byron Hawk
New Media, Technology, and Technical Writing
- EME 6936: Internet in Education, Summer 2011, Dr. Ann Barron
- EME 6936: Distance Education, Summer 2011, Dr. Albert Ritzhaupt
- ENC 6421: Studies in Rhetoric and Technology, Spring 2012, Dr. Joseph Moxley
- ENC 6422: New Media Production, Fall 2012, Dr. Marc Santos
- ENC 6261: Professional and Technical Communication, Fall 2013, Dr. Meredith Zoetewey
- LAE 6375: Contemporary Composition Studies, Fall 2008, Dr. Elizabeth Metzger
- ENC 6740: Theory and Development of Writing Programs, Fall 2010, Dr. Elizabeth Metzger
- ENC 6720: Studies in Composition Research, Spring 2011, Dr. Joseph Moxley
- ENC 6700: Studies in Composition Theory, Fall 2011, Dr. Elizabeth Metzger
- LAE 6392: Practice in Teaching Composition, Fall 2007, Dr. Joseph Moxley
- LIT 6934: Writing Center Practicum, Spring 2009, Dr. Kim Murray
- LIT 6934: Professional Writing Practicum, Spring 2009, Dr. Alma Bryant
Digital Media Development and Editing
- Windows Movie Maker
- Tableau Data Visualization Suite
- Garage Band
- Haiku Deck
- Slide Deck
Content Management Systems
- Google Sites
- Association of Teachers of Technical Writing
- Rhetoric Society of America
- National Council of the Teachers of English
- Council of Writing Program Administrators
- Florida College English Association
- South Atlantic Modern Language Association
- Southern Writing Center Association